As a child I always wanted a horse. It didn’t happen. As a young man, through my family’s involvement in the Thoroughbred horse racing industry, I had the opportunity to observe the equine athlete and the people who owned, trained and rode those superb athletes.
When I moved to Wyoming 37 years ago, I discovered the cutting horse on which the owner could compete. I was hooked! I wanted to show, which led me to become a member of the NCHA. Eventually, at the urging of friends, I was nominated and elected as a Director of the NCHA representing Wyoming. My commitment to the NCHA has been and continues to be as follows:
- Member of NCHA since 1983.
- Lifetime NCHA member.
- Director representing Wyoming since 2007.
- Member of Long Range Planning Committee for 6 years.
- Chairman of Long Range Planning Committee 2012 to 2014.
- Vice Chairman Long Range Planning Committee 2010 to 2012.
- Nominating Committee for Selection of Candidates for Vice-President 2013.
- President’s Governance Task Force Member 2014.
- Member of Wyoming Cutting Horse Association since 1983.
- Director, Past President and Past Vice President of WCHA.
Some accomplishments during my tenure as a member of the LRPC include drafting and presenting several Amendments to the Constitution and By-Laws which were adopted by the members of the NCHA in two successive years. The amendments include additional confidentiality protections to the election process and attendance requirements for Directors at the annual convention.
If elected, I would continue to support:
- NCHA Constitution and By-Laws.
- The Rule Book.
- World Finals.
- Grievance and Appeal procedures.
- Youth Program and Scholarships.
- Triple Crown Events.
- Affiliate Organizations and Weekend Events.
- Protection of the equine athlete through the Horse Welfare Task Force.
- Transparent and Open Management.
- I would be open to a revision to the following:
- Restructuring of the NCHA approved classes.
- Restructuring the Governance System.
- Realignment of the Decision Making Process.
If elected I would bring my past experiences as a judge, lawyer and mayor of a major city to assist the NCHA and its members in furthering the goals of the membership and the NCHA.
My wife, Brenda, and I live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Our five children also live in Jackson Hole and we are the proud grandparents of 5 grandchildren. My commitment to family—both personal and the cutting family of friends—is of primary importance to me.
It has been an honor to serve the members of the NCHA and if elected, I will continue to dedicate my efforts to strengthen the NCHA. I would appreciate your vote. Thank you.